St. Gertrude the Great Catholic Elementary School was dedicated by Archbishop James Francis McIntyre on September 10, 1950. The school opened on September 11, 1950 with 110 students and Sr. Mary Giovanni at the helm. Sr. Mary Giovanni along with the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary educated the children of St. Gertrude the Great until 1968 when the school administration was turned over to the Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco. Sr. Mary Helen Tafoya, F.M.A was selected as administrator. Nine Salesian sisters would follow Sr. Mary Helen Tafoya ending with Sr. Barbara, F.M.A in 2007. Four successive lay administrators followed the departure of the Salesian Sisters in 2007 ending in 2011 with the current administrator, Ms. Mary Flock. Although there are no Salesian sisters left, the Salesian Charism is present throughout the school community ensuring St. John Bosco’s vision for youth is fulfilled.